For this installment of “20 Questions and a Selfie,” we catch up with Jen Peake, content marketing specialist for the economic development arm of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians.
Our 20 questions with Jen start now:
1) What is your full name?
2) What is your professional job title?
Content Marketing Specialist
3) Describe your organization.
The economic development arm of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians
4) Describe your surroundings right now.
Two computer screens, a large desk, a fish bowl and lots of coffee!
5) What was your first paid writing gig?
Freelance stringer for my hometown daily newspaper, Pensacola News Journal
6) What was the last thing you wrote?
An article about one of the investment hotels we own
7) What is the next thing you plan to write?
A couple of blogs for our various businesses
8) Finish this sentence: The ideal way to start my day is …
with a cup of coffee, on the couch, with my dog
9) Besides your computer, what is sitting on your desk right now?
My printer, a few sheets of notes, two cellphones and a desk phone
10) So-called writer’s block is no match for you! What is your antidote?
Listen to music and switch gears. I don’t force the words to come. Sometimes procrastination works best for me.
11) Finish this sentence: I hate it when I read …
misspelled words and incorrect grammar! I AM the grammar police.
12) What are the most important tools, programs and systems you use for your work?
I use the Adobe Creative Cloud, mainly InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom and others. And Google is my best friend!
13) First book that comes to mind? Go!
14) What are your favorite Internet/mobile apps and why?
I love Instagram, SmartNews and Flipbook. Instagram bc I love photography and the others bc I love news and want to stay up to date.
15) What have you always wanted to write?
Ever since I was little I wanted to write and be a journalist. The written word comes so easily to me and it’s expressive.
16) What is your advice for aspiring professional writers?
Don’t give up ever! When I was 12, I sent a book of short stories to Scholastic. They kindly sent an encouragement letter with great advice.
17) First famous writer who comes to mind? Go!
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, one of the few poets I enjoy.
18) Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about being a writer is …
expressing my creativity and telling a story.
19) Pencil versus pen—who wins and why?
Pen bc it’s permanent. Usually the thoughts you write down first will come out in some form. If you erase it, you might lose a great thing.
20) Finish this sentence: One word or phrase people will never read in my writing is …
“It is what it is.” The phrase might be true, but I believe you are always in control of your destiny. Clear the circumstances and move on.
Would you like to be featured in our “20 Questions and a Selfie” interview? If you’re a published writer, we’d love to interview you. Click here to do your “20 Questions and a Selfie” now.
I want more stuff like this in my inbox.
An occasional email for writers, by writers, about writing.No Fields Found.
Latest posts by Our Staff (see all)
- Masterful Writing Advice from Stephen King (Infographic) - October 12, 2016
- 5 Keys to Crafting an Elevator Pitch - September 28, 2016
- Tips on Writing Better Villains (Video) - September 14, 2016