For this installment of “20 Questions and a Selfie,” we catch up with Marie J.S. Phillips, author of fantasy, science fiction animal tales.
“Owned by two cats,” Phillips lives with her husband in the rolling hills of northwestern Connecticut.
Her desire to write developed at an early age and grew from her love of animals. Her tales are told from an animal’s perspective and often in a fantasy/science fiction backdrop.
“Back in my senior year of high school, one of my teachers, Mr. O’Connor, lent me a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, which changed my reading and writing life forever,” Phillips says, “driving me into the unique and futuristic world of Fantasy/Science Fiction.”
When Phillips is not writing, she enjoys collecting model horses and other model animals, gardening, reading, horseback riding, swimming and birdwatching.
Our 20 questions with Marie start now:
1) What is your full name?
Marie J. S. Phillips
2) What is your professional job title?
3) Describe your organization.
Just me, myself and I.
4) Describe your surroundings right now.
Computer desk, chair in front of my trusty 24″ monitor.
5) What was your first paid writing gig?
Short story in Lost Worlds magazine
6) What was the last thing you wrote?
7) What is the next thing you plan to write?
Furlites of Aroriel: Eyes in the Dark
8) Finish this sentence: The ideal way to start my day is …
with a cup of coffee!
9) Besides your computer, what is sitting on your desk right now?
Wow—notepads, notebooks, pens, pencils, camera … and much more.
10) So-called writer’s block is no match for you! What is your antidote?
Writers block, in its true sense, I have never experienced, but to help a pause in thought, switch to a different project and then go back.
11) Finish this sentence: I hate it when I read …
over passive writing!
12) What are the most important tools, programs and systems you use for your work?
Wordperfect, Word, Microsoft Image Composure, Warrior cats, since that is what I am reading, and a PC with more RAM and processing speed than God.
13) First book that comes to mind? Go!
Warrior Cats, because that’s what I’m reading now.
14) What are your favorite smartphone apps and why?
Facebook, Twitter, Words With Friends—good networking and connections and relaxing.
15) What have you always wanted to write?
Science fiction, animal tales
16) What is your advice for aspiring professional writers?
Just do it. Get it down on paper then polish it with proofreading and editing until it’s the best it can be.
17) First famous writer who comes to mind? Go!
18) Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about being a writer is …
working to create strange new worlds.
19) Pencil versus pen—who wins and why?
Pen. Pencil tho nice to erase, is not as dark. Bad eyes you see.
20) Finish this sentence: One word or phrase people will never read in my writing is …
“he/she/it had had”—I despise passive phrasing.
Would you like to be featured in our “20 Questions and a Selfie” interview? If you’re a published writer, we’d love to interview you. Click here to do your “20 Questions and a Selfie” now.
I want more stuff like this in my inbox.
An occasional email for writers, by writers, about writing.
Latest posts by Our Staff (see all)
- Masterful Writing Advice from Stephen King (Infographic) - October 12, 2016
- 5 Keys to Crafting an Elevator Pitch - September 28, 2016
- Tips on Writing Better Villains (Video) - September 14, 2016