For this installment of “20 Questions and a Selfie,” we catch up with Jae Walton, the writer behind The Recovering Pessimist blog.
Based in Richmond, VA, Jae started The Recovering Pessimist as “a way to hold myself accountable for being more optimistic.” Jae posts whatever is weighing on her mind every Monday, Wednesday and occasionally Friday. Her favorite things include reading, writing, whiskey, craft beers and people watching.
You can connect with Jae on Twitter @MsWalton.
Our 20 questions with Jae start now:
1) What is your full name, including middle name?
2) What is your professional job title?
Owner, The Recovering Pessimist (www.therecoveringpessimist.me)
3) Describe your organization.
4) Describe your surroundings right now.
My 624 sq ft apt with furniture that’s so comfy you’ll fall asleep & not realize it.
5) What was your first paid writing gig?
6) What was the last thing you wrote?
A reminder in Evernote.
7) What is the next thing you plan to write?
A blog post.
8) Finish this sentence: The ideal way to start my day is …
waking up around 9:30 a.m. after writing from about 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
9) Besides your computer, what is sitting on your desk right now?
If I had a desk, it would be my Day Designer.
10) So-called writer’s block is no match for you! What is your antidote?
Write about the writer’s block.
11) Finish this sentence: I hate it when I read …
…a library book and it’s so good I want to highlight parts that speak to me.
12) What are the most important tools, programs and systems you use for your work?
Evernote, Google Doc.
13) First book that comes to mind? Go!
Where the Wild Things Are
14) What are your favorite smartphone apps and why?
Evernote- I can record notes & clip websites. Google Docs- It’s accessible on so many platforms.
15) What have you always wanted to write?
A children’s book.
16) What is your advice for aspiring professional writers?
Record your thoughts/ideas, no matter how unimportant you may think they are.
17) First famous writer who comes to mind? Go!
Aliya S. King
18) Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about being a writer is …
I get to share my thoughts and ideas with the world.
19) Pencil versus pen—who wins and why?
Erasable pen…best of both worlds.
20) Finish this sentence: One word or phrase people will never read in my writing is …
This is a good question. Nothing is off limits in my writing, so I can’t answer this question.
Would you like to be featured in our “20 Questions and a Selfie” interview? If you’re a working, professional writer, you qualify. Click here to do your “20 Questions and a Selfie” now.
I want more stuff like this in my inbox.
An occasional email for writers, by writers, about writing.
Latest posts by Our Staff (see all)
- Masterful Writing Advice from Stephen King (Infographic) - October 12, 2016
- 5 Keys to Crafting an Elevator Pitch - September 28, 2016
- Tips on Writing Better Villains (Video) - September 14, 2016