For this installment of “20 Questions and a Selfie,” we catch up with horror author A.R. Braun.
A.R. is the author of two short-story collections, Insanity and Horrorbook, and has numerous publication credits, including “NREM Sleep” in the D.O.A. anthology; “Freaks” in Downstate Story magazine; “The Unwanted Visitors” in the Vermin anthology; “Coven” in the Heavy Metal Horror anthology; “Remember Me?” in Horror Bound magazine; and “Shades of Gray (the Symbiosis of Light and Dark)” in Micro Horror magazine. Braun’s “The Interloper” won story of the month in 2009’s June Full Moon in Bloom issue of SNM Horror Magazine, and the piece was included in the SNM Horror anthology, Bonded by Blood 2: a Romance in Red.
Our 20 questions with A.R. start now:
1) What is your full name, including middle name?
Alan Rae Braun
2) What is your professional job title?
3) Describe your organization.
I write horror books and self-pub ’em on Amazon.
4) Describe your surroundings right now.
I’m sitting at my writer’s desk right by my bed, with black Sofia Vergara bedsheets. They look so satanic.
5) What was your first paid writing gig?
I won Story of the Month in SNM Horror and got paid $30. This led to me being in the anthology, Bonded by Blood 2.
6) What was the last thing you wrote?
A chapter for my newest novel.
7) What is the next thing you plan to write?
A novel next year during NaNo.
8) Finish this sentence: The ideal way to start my day is …
9) Besides your computer, what is sitting on your desk right now?
10) So-called writer’s block is no match for you! What is your antidote?
Reading a lot. It inspires me.
11) Finish this sentence: I hate it when I read …
a grammar and syntax book.
12) What are the most important tools, programs and systems you use for your work?
Microsoft Word, Final Draft software, HP laptop.
13) First book that comes to mind? Go!
14) What are your favorite smartphone apps and why?
I don’t have a smartphone. I have an iPod Touch and a Kindle Fire HD 6-inch. I would say Twitter, Pinball Arcade, At Bat, and NBA Gametime.
15) What have you always wanted to write?
A novel with ridiculously short, succinct sentences, like Sliver by Ira Levin. One that makes other writers look stupid.
16) What is your advice for aspiring professional writers?
Don’t be in it for the money. There probably won’t be any.
17) First famous writer who comes to mind? Go!
18) Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about being a writer is …
writing rough drafts.
19) Pencil versus pen—who wins and why?
Pen. Pencil erasers don’t work like they’re supposed to.
20) Finish this sentence: One word or phrase people will never read in my writing is …
the vampire sparkled.
Would you like to be featured in our “20 Questions and a Selfie” interview? If you’re a working, professional writer, you qualify. Click here to do your “20 Questions and a Selfie” now.
I want more stuff like this in my inbox.
An occasional email for writers, by writers, about writing.
Latest posts by Our Staff (see all)
- Masterful Writing Advice from Stephen King (Infographic) - October 12, 2016
- 5 Keys to Crafting an Elevator Pitch - September 28, 2016
- Tips on Writing Better Villains (Video) - September 14, 2016