For this installment of “20 Questions and a Selfie,” we catch up with JoAnn Smith Ainsworth, author of World War II spy/supernatural thriller novels.
“Growing up with paternal grandparents born in the 1890s made creating historical novels a logical choice,” JoAnn says of her youth.
Suffice it to say JoAnn has serious frontier-era chops. Raised in California, JoAnn had first-hand experience in everything from cooking on a wood-burning stove and depending on blocks of ice to cool food to cleaning outhouses, chamber pots and chicken coops.
Our 20 questions with JoAnn start now:
1) What is your full name?
JoAnn Smith Ainsworth
2) What is your professional job title?
Author of World War II spy/supernatural thriller novels.
3) Describe your organization.
Stories of gripping suspense (WWII spies) intertwined with the paranormal, in the style of an Agatha Christy cozy but at pace of a thriller.
4) Describe your surroundings right now.
I’m in a wood-paneled cabin on a recreational ranch.
5) What was your first paid writing gig?
Matilda’s Song published by Samhain Publishers, Limited.
6) What was the last thing you wrote?
The manuscript for Book 2 of the Operation Delphi series, Expect Deception, went to the publisher, She Writes Press, on September 1.
7) What is the next thing you plan to write?
I am starting to write Book 3 of the series, Expect Betrayal.
8) Finish this sentence: The ideal way to start my day is …
…with 45 minutes of stretching exercises.
9) Besides your computer, what is sitting on your desk right now?
A bottle of pH balanced water with electrolytes and a cup of organic green tea.
10) So-called writer’s block is no match for you! What is your antidote?
Writing is a business. I get up each day and take care of business.
11) Finish this sentence: I hate it when I read …
12) What are the most important tools, programs and systems you use for your work?
Word, Excel, Access, browsers, laptop and PC.
13) First book that comes to mind? Go!
14) What are your favorite Internet/mobile apps and why?
QR code reader to access websites.
15) What have you always wanted to write?
What I’m writing now: suspense and paranormal, with a touch of romance.
16) What is your advice for aspiring professional writers?
Ignore the naysayers. Never give up!
17) First famous writer who comes to mind? Go!
18) Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about being a writer is …
…when a reader says you kept me up all night reading!
19) Pencil versus pen—who wins and why?
Neither. It’s the computer from first word to last.
20) Finish this sentence: One word or phrase people will never read in my writing is …
…snuck (except for this one).
Would you like to be featured in our “20 Questions and a Selfie” interview? If you’re a published writer, we’d love to interview you. Click here to do your “20 Questions and a Selfie” now.
I want more stuff like this in my inbox.
An occasional email for writers, by writers, about writing.
Latest posts by Our Staff (see all)
- Masterful Writing Advice from Stephen King (Infographic) - October 12, 2016
- 5 Keys to Crafting an Elevator Pitch - September 28, 2016
- Tips on Writing Better Villains (Video) - September 14, 2016